Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why Does My Download Speed Drop?

My download speeds runs a constant 2mbps, If I do a speed test before downloading a torrent I will get 2mbps, when I start downloading with pleanty of peers I will get in or around 20kbps download speed at best, Limewire Pro is the same, I get a max of around 10kbps.



I never had this trouble on AOL broadband, just BT broadband, Infact a dial up connection is quicker, What use is broadband for downloading if your speed drops to 20kbps when you try to download a file, encrytpion is on on utorrent but makes no difference



Why Does My Download Speed Drop?view myspace





uTorrent and other Torrent programs can only be maxxed out if you're settings are correct. Torrent speeds can vary because of seeders, you're settings, how much you torrent/upload and your luck.



The other stuff I have no idea.



Why Does My Download Speed Drop?funny videos myspace myspace.com



Check the port that the program uses to connect to peers. Once you know this go into your router preferences through your browser (address is usually something like 192.168.1.1).



There should be a section in there with port forwarding. Enter the port details and save the changes. Try rebooting the computer and open the software again.



Hope it helped.



Matt
as far as limewire is concerned it depends on how many hosts you are downloading off i'm on virgin media broadband and it's alot faster at downloading from limewire than yours mine gets up to between 70-90 kbps
There are many factors that can cause this.



First thing I would check would be the firewall. This does not allow other users to connect to you therefore lowering your share level on the torrent programs and limewire. You need to enable port forwarding on the router that you are using to allow these programs to run at their fastest speed.



And Dial up is in no way faster than how you are downloading now. Not even close.



It may say 56kb/s for dial up, but that is BITS per second not BYTES per second.



Yes, it is weird that they measure connection speed in Bits but your download speed in Bytes.



There are 8 bits to a byte, so you have to divide the total download speed of your connection by 8 to get your maximum download speed.



The max a Dial up modem is able to download at is around 4-5Kilo BYTES per second.
Currently downloading at 140 kbps



I use Azureus and had to tweak my settings quite a bit to get this

No comments:

Post a Comment