Sunday, December 6, 2009

How to download my programs on a Mac?

I just got a Mac. Last time I used a Mac was about two years ago. I got to understand them pretty well, but it was at my job, so I wasn't downloading programs and setting up the machine.



I'm trying to download my programs. I was able to download Mozilla Camino, but attempts to download Firefox, Thunderbird and Adobe Reader haven't worked.



For Firefox and Thunderbird, I downloaded them and was using them. I set up my e-mail on Thunderbird (or tried to set up--but I'm still learning how Thunderbird works) and browsed the Internet on Firefox. Then I restarted my computer and the programs were gone. Both Firefox and Thunderbird should work on Mac.



For Adobe Reader, I think I at first tried to download the Windows version. Then I realized it and tried the Mac version. It went through the motions of downloading and opening. The icon is now on my dock, but it does nothing when I open it. When I open a PDF file, it has the Adobe logo when first downloading but doesn't display in Adobe.



How to download my programs on a Mac?live com





Also look on the desktop for a folder with a .dmg image. Open that and drag the program icon to the Applications folder. Often there's a little graphic showing you what to do.



I have Firefox on this machine, but on a regular basis, I use Omniweb. It's only about $15 from the Ominiweb folks. I believe it uses the same rendering engine as Safari, which means any website that Safari doesn't like, Omniweb won't either, but for eveyday use it's OK. Mainly I use it because it's really fast.



If you just want to experiment with browsers, there are also Opera, Camino and Seamonkey. You can get Netscape also, but all support for that is ending soon.



How to download my programs on a Mac?myspace.com music myspace.com



When you download a program like Firefox, you download the file with a .dmg extension. This is just a disk image. You can run the program while it's attached to your computer (in Finder, it will be below the Macintosh HD icon with an "eject" symbol next to it) but in order to properly install the program so that it runs after a restart, you need to copy it from the attached disk image to your Applications folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment